Saturday, March 11, 2006

The choice

I'm posting to reinforce my recent (today) decision to stop eating meat. And not just meat - dairy products, eggs and seafood. Yes, I'm going to turn vegan.
I've considered this before, and I was vegetarian for a while, but I've consciously made the decision today to do the whole shebang and flick the switch straight onto vegan. First of all, I'm allergic to seafood and partially allergic to milk, and I don't like how eggs taste. But giving up meat is a big thing for me, considering my favourite food has always been hamburger.
I love animals. I've always loved them. If I had enough money and land I'd pick up all the stray dogs and cats in the world and give them food, affection and a place to sleep until I could find them loving homes. But I realize that it's hypocritical to say you love animals and then willingly and happily eat beef and chicken. Why should I love a dog and not a cow? Why should I treat any animal differently from any other? They all deserve the same respect - not to be treated brutally, killed and eaten. There are plants. Eat the plants.
So from now on, no more beef, lamb, pork or chicken. No more honey - honey is stolen from bees who worked so hard to make it to last them through winter. No more gelatin made from animal bones. No milk, no cheese, no butter, no yoghurt.
Instead, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and soy. No preservatives. Nothing artificial. Not only am I going vegan but I'm doing it the organic way.
No ifs, no ands and no buts. I've made my choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home