Sunday, October 16, 2005

A prejudice rant...

All right, so I'm a bitch. I'm cruel, I'm brutal, I hurt people. I'm a sinner. I have a thousand faults and possess few if any virtues. But one thing I am not is prejudiced. One thing I will never be is prejudiced.
People are the same - black, white, red, green or any other colour from the universal crayon box that you would like to choose. Brothers and sisters under the skin. I believe that.
I am the girl kicked out of her home because I told my mother I am a lesbian. I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they would not let my partner of twenty-seven years into the room. I am one of the lucky ones; I survived the attack that left me in a coma for three weeks, and in another year the doctors say I may be able to walk again. I am the father who never hugged his son because affection between men is not acceptable. I am the people who both church and society have turned their backs on with equal disdain.
I am lesbian. I am gay. I am black. I have AIDS. I am an atheist. I am an alcoholic. I am pieces of everyone, I am part of this world just as he is and she is and you are. I am the God that instantly forsakes you when you tell the world who you really are. I am the family that breaks down when the truth comes out. I am the boy who hides everything inside and who resorts to the razor to take away his pain. I am the girl who starves herself so she can be beautiful.
I am a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. I have every right to be here.
And you have no right to tell me what to do.

Every so often I drop a stone into the well of human ignorance. I have yet to hear one hit bottom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home